In the modern work environment, laptops have become an integral part of running any business largely due to their portability. There are a lot of different laptop types with different features that come at different prices. Some have more features that others, some more power, and some maximum portability to save space. If you lack adequate knowledge, too many laptop types can confuse you when choosing.
Assessing what the laptop you are acquiring is set to accomplish is the initial vital step in purchasing a suitable machine. If you don’t analyze carefully, you may end up utilizing excess business capital to acquire a system that has excess features than needed or worse still, get a system that is unable to accomplish all the duties expected fully.
All-in-all as a business person you require an efficient laptop that can carry out some labor intensive tasks. Such tasks are invoicing, computing payroll, analyzing financial projections, preparing promotional materials, and writing letters. So as to leverage a lot of research time, it’s advisable to find out what other businesspersons in your industry use.
Here is a useful checklist that shows the criteria for acquisition of a suitable laptop for your business.
Select the optimal size
It’s wise to check the -portability of a laptop before checking its price or specification. You will have to select the best display size in the category below that suit your needs:
- A 17 to 18 inches display: if you require a laptop that will always stay at your desk to provide optimal processing power to undertake workstation-level productivity then an 18 or 17-inch laptop is appropriate.
- 15 inches display: for a business person who requires a larger screen system that will not be carried around more often; then this is it. Usually, about 4.5 to 6.5 pounds in weight, the 15-inch laptops are the most popular size around.
- A 13 to 14 inches display a user seeking a machine that guarantees a balance between its usability and portability would find this display range if fine for the business. To get a more beneficial machine for your business consider such a machine that weighs less than 4 pounds.
- An 11 to 12 inches display: Regarding lightness and thinness then this range takes the trophy in the market. Its weight is only around 2.5 to 3.5 pounds.
Choose a Platform
It is usually right to check the strengths and weakness of each platform when choosing a suitable one for your business. Most laptops in the market run on any of the three platforms:
Windows: More models have mounted Windows as their operating system than Mac OS X or Chrome OS. The OS offers a wide array of features such as dual graphics chips, fingerprint readers, and even touch screens. Popular versions of windows are 7 and 8, but latest version Windows 10 is even more advanced. Windows 10 allow users to interchange between desktop and laptop modes easily, has a powerful Cortana digital assistant application, and permits scribbling using a stylus.
Mac OS (runs on MacBooks only): nearly all MacBooks come installed with MacOS Sierra (Apple's latest operating system). Though it has a bottom apps dock that substitutes the start menu and taskbar, most of it functionality are similar those of Windows 10. However, currently, there is no MacBook with a touch screen capability.
Chrome OS: it is a secure and simple Google’s OS generated from inexpensive Chromebooks. Although it’s key app is the Chrome browser it can drag windows around, and other desktop and menu application like any Windows user interface. On the downside, its web apps are limited since it can’t be used well offline.
Select your desirable specification
When purchasing a notebook/ laptop, there are several specifications that you should check like graphics chip, RAM, processor, and hard drive.
The main components to check are;
- CPU: the kind of a processor a machine contains will greatly determine its performance. There are several processors available: Intel Core i5, Intel Core i7, Intel Core i3, AMD A, FX or E-Series, Intel Atom, Intel Pentium / Celeron, Intel Core m / Core i5 / i7 "Y Series and Intel Xeon.
- RAM: It is common to find to find laptops for businesses with a 2GB memory RAM, but it’s advisable to go for 4GB or an 8GB depending on your budget. A 16GB or more can be an overdrive.
- Storage Drive (aka Hard Drive): storage is even crucial than the CPU’ speed. It’s advisable to find a laptop with a solid state drive (SSD) storage than a hard drive that is a little bit costly.
Don’t leave out on the battery life
In case you want to acquire a laptop that will be mounted on the desk due to its bulkiness, battery life will not be an issue since it will be near a power outlet. Otherwise, if you plan to secure a laptop that you will be moving around with from place to place like from home to work, it is wise to be keen on the battery. A laptop that can retain power for at least 6 hours is enough to keep you running but ideally, one that can retain 8 or more hours is good.
Finally, Base the purchase on your budget
Nowadays, finding a usable laptop that costs under $200 is easy, but if you don’t want to compromise on the performance, display, and quality, you will have to dig deeper.
Some of the price range of laptops around are;
- $150 to $250: Chromebooks that run on Google web based OS is the least expensive notebook around. A low-end Windows machine is like a Chromebook, but both have a slower processor and minimal storage. Examples include Lenovo Ideapad 100S and HP Stream 11 that several enterprises.
- $350 to $600: For a budget of under $600, a business person can acquire a good notebook with respectable specs like 500GB hard drive, AMD A8 or Intel Core i5 CPU, and 4 to 8GB RAM machine. However, the notebooks will not have an SSD or a long battery life. Such are Lenovo ThinkPad 13 and Asus VivoBook E403Sa.
- $600 to $900: This is a range where you can acquire a laptop that has a premium design. Some have SSDs, and high-resolution display added according to the price ladder.
- Above $900: for machines that have this kind of budget, a business person will expect nice advanced features. An individual should expect a more powerful, more portable laptop with faster processors, discrete graphics, and high-resolution screens. Such machines include Dell XPS 13, and Apple MacBook.